Thursday, May 13, 2010

A Night of Anticipation...

It's one of those interesting times of year that only those inside "Army" culture really get the emotions going through many officers and their families. It is the eve of officer moves being announced in our territory. Some will get calls from their divisional commander tonight, others tomorrow morning, and then it will be posted for the rest to see at noon (well, 1pm for those in our time zone).

Nothing is ever 100% in life until zero hour, but we feel rather relaxed this evening and don't anticipate our phones ringing any time in the foreseeable future.

As many others that I love aren't feeling quite at peace as we do this evening, I find myself thinking about the two phone calls that I've received (I am in my third appointment, second for my husband).

The first call I got was near the beginning of kettle season, letting me know my change of appointment for when we got married (we got married 1/31/09). It was a bit awkward because we were at the end of our premarital counseling session that had ran long (we had too much fun chatting!) and my cell phone and the cell phone of the officer with us kept ringing--finally we figured we better answer the phones. It was the DC informing me that I would be moving into my husband's appointment after our honeymoon. (The other officer's phone was ringing because he was my soon-to-be hubby's CO) I just remember shock. Took awhile to sink in the reality.

Fast forward a few months. It's April 2009. Life was a roller coaster (some day I'll write about that story--they say that if you survive the first year of marriage, it's all downhill from there--we say it better be after everything that we went through with surgeries, accidents, multiple moves, family health, other various crises).

I was getting ready for Home League. I remember it distinctly--I was leading the program on being princesses (daughters of the King). My cell phone rang and it was the DC asking where my husband was, as neither of us were answering our office phone and my husband (I found out later) didn't hear his cell phone ringing and was out getting my van cleaned. My heart stopped not understanding immediately why the DC would be calling--it was that sinking feeling of "oh no! what could we possibly have done wrong?"

The DC said something along the lines of, "well, this is a very time sensitive matter, so please understand why I need to tell you this instead of waiting until your husband can be there too"

I think that's when my heart exploded.

We knew we would be moving last year, but we did not anticipate what the DC told us that we would be moving early. We found out in late April 2009 that we would be moving here to Alamogordo, NM, and we arrived here as the corps officers on May 27, 2009.

It's just a few weeks shy of a year--my longest appointment so far! Still loving every minute, even the not-so-fun moments.

Many use the phrases of "Man appoints and God anoints" or joke around that appointments are determined with a dartboard. I'd be lying if I said that those thoughts didn't cross my mind once in awhile, but I can testify to this fact: God knows what's going on always, even when we can't find Him in the midst of our humanness some days. God works everything according to His will, and despite the heartache we experience sometimes, we have to know that there's a reason in it for God to work in the larger picture of Kingdom-building--even though we may never understand or know what those reasons are.

So, regardless of what happens over the coming hours, days, weeks, and months as those learn of and prepare for change, know that you are bathed in prayer today. Not only by us, but by many other officers and godly people that care for you. Take comfort in that today. Remember the word of Scripture, "Seek the LORD and His strength; seek His face continually." (1 Chronicles 16:11)

Now--those of you on pins and needles--go to bed (now), get your rest (even though you think you'll toss and turn), and rise again in the morning with the strength of Lord to face the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment