Friday, July 2, 2010

The Unexpected Doesn't Make Appointments

Oh...the best laid plans.

Had a tightly-scheduled and busy day when we started this morning...and it went from busy to crazy.

Rain slowed my drive home from the doctor (7lbs. lost this time!), my prescription wasn't ready when I got to the pharmacy, answering machine at the corps did not have the message I was waiting for, printer jammed, post office parking lot was so jammed that I just skipped it, called to the hospital for chaplain duties before I was ready to go up for my normal visitation, thrift store truck was ready at the mechanic, had to quickly figure out lunch for hubby because he's not used to the spikes/lows with his new insulin, hubby had a doctor appointment that was useless because they didn't have the test results they were waiting for (seriously, a $5 gift certificate to the hospital cafeteria doesn't make it better today), and several other snags in the road that just threw everything off-track. We didn't even get through dinner together without the phone ringing (couldn't turn it off today being on-call)

We were originally going to get all our stuff done and then mid-afternoon head into the mountains for an evening with friends and we'll be enjoying the Western Days in Timberon tomorrow (hubby's judging the pie baking contest!). Needless to say, once the avalanche hit, that wasn't going to happen. Though, we are going to head up there early in the morning to enjoy all the festivities of the day. Then Sunday evening our congregation has been invited to a praise meeting/fellowship at another small church and we'll sit on the lawn of the church that has a great view of the fireworks...looking forward to that.

In the midst of it all today, I was humbled by a reminder of why I do what I do, and what God has called me for. I had a chance today in my hospital chaplaincy to visit with an incredible woman of God. Even in the midst of her situation, she was claiming the victory that comes through Christ with a smile on her face and a positive attitude. I had an opportunity to read her favorite scripture to her as she was unable to hold and read her Bible that morning, and she spoke it along with me word for word--and had written in her Bible all of the pronouns to "her" and her name--making it personal and claiming the promises that this Psalm held. My prayers were able to provide her comfort, and her faith spurred me on today. I had to get to the hospital and visit quickly as she was about to be transferred to another hospital when I received the urgent call for a chaplain--I pray I get to the opportunity to pass over her path again soon. Such an example of everlasting faith!

Praying now for the weekend to slow down and to enjoy the holiday, fellowship with friends, worship with our congregation, and a 4th full of praise and fellowship!

BE SAFE--DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!!! (But if you do, and happen to get assigned community service, please choose The Salvation Army of Alamogordo. We have plenty for you to do as we prepare for our summer extreme corps makeover!)

No comments:

Post a Comment