Thursday, July 1, 2010

Life Lessons

When we first arrived in this appointment, we became hospital chaplains after hearing that there was a great need for them. So, for 2 days each month someone is "on duty" where you go to the hospital each of those days and visit those that have requested a pastoral visit, and then if there is an emergency, they can call you in at any time (I've had a few late night visits). Hospitals and nursing homes are not my cup of tea, so I figured this would be an excellent opportunity to challenge myself in an area that I'm going to have to minister in for the rest of my life.

Well, I'm on duty right now. I was going to head up this afternoon for my normal visitation, but I got a call about an hour before the corps closed for the day for an emergency, so my husband took care of the corps so I could get up there quickly. Let's just say when you get a call to "get here as soon as you can", it's not to rejoice with a family that just had a baby or likewise...

This is when my biggest doubts rear their ugly heads--afterwards. Did I say the right thing? Did I provide the family and patient with what they needed? Was I truly a mouthpiece of God's love and comfort?

And now I sit in a funk. I know that I am fully capable of proclaiming the message of the Gospel and speaking the truths of God's Word. I have the ability to be loving, caring, and compassionate. But doubts rule my mind. I know that emotions are a choice, but this is always one that's hard to shake for me for a time.

I wish I could just figure out how to flip the switch and snap out of this one! Urrggghhhh!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment